Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thinking about Patti...

There are some pains that are bearable, some that are semi-bearable. But knowing that one of the greatest human beings I've ever known in my life has passed on to bigger and better things in the Universe brings special kinds of tears to my eyes that identify what is unbearable...and Patti Busch was one of those human beings.

My random thoughts, in much grief...

To me, Patti was a quiet storm. Her voice and opinions carried much weight, nothing ever trivial, always with a grace that was truly her own. I loved my time with her before whatever community meeting du jour we were "partners in crime" with. I listened intently to her advice, her counsel, her ideas...and I never had to worry about anything with Patti at the helm. She was always on it, and then some. But what I admired most about her was that she always spoke the plain truth, whether it hurt or not. She was real...never plastic, never a fake, never a schmoozer, never a facade that came up to you in want of something. I always loved her ability to fire back reality checks with unequivocable wisdom and grace.

We talked a lot, off the record. I never had to question her; with Patti, there were never questions, only answers. In my worried weaknesses, I could always count on her to get me back on track. What does worrying accomplish? I needed a graceful swan like Patti in my life...beautiful, radiant, gliding on the surface...but what you didn't see was the "underwater" activity of a brilliant heart, mind and soul.

Patti was not only the face and icon of The Celtic Knot, but of Jackson and Amador County...and was always so very accomodating of me on my random, caffeinated appearances! Didn't have to, but I always apologized for my bloody Welsh heritage as I would browse their wares...and she, of course, was always forgiving! Hahaha. What an amazing store. What an amazing woman. What amazing memories.

She was one of the beautiful faces in a crowd, and supportive of talent. I remember when beloved Kay was dying, when Meghan and I were plunking around on the piano and singing...Patti was watching us from the kitchen, smiling her beautiful smile. I could always tell that she loved and appreciated musical talent. I can only imagine that both Patti and Kay are waiting for us lowly Earthlings do the music of Heaven justice. For me, there are no words...just music. For Patti, I think she could hear the frequency channels of both Heaven and Earth.

I wrote a piano solo many years ago, and it had remained untitled until now.  Through my thoughts, prayers and tears, I think I now have a title for it:

Patti.


Carol Harper, Editor
Amador Community News

No comments: